Monday, December 23, 2013

Blue, bluer, bluest...


This is more a request than a post you've become used to... A few weeks ago I noticed that someone posted a picture of all the Translucent shades available, on the Victorinox Facebook page. I knew that there were orange, ruby, onyx, silvertech, sapphire and emerald translucent scales in 91mm knives, but I wasn't aware that brown and the lighter blue shade existed... So, that's that?.... Nope, when I started looking for the blue translucent scales with my regular seller my wife (once again) noticed three different shades of blue. I bought them immediately and here we are. Is there a possibility that translucent scales wear off in UV-light? Or was there a change of material/manufacturing method over the years? I don't know if you can see the different shades on the pictures, but there is a clear difference. Try to look at the structure you can see through the clear plastic. A is the darkest one, the more known one.... Sapphire... B is the mysterious one. C is the lightest shade, also the second I found on the picture I mentioned on Facebook.


Here's my Translucent collection so far... The Onyx ones are hard to find, and yet they are still mentioned in the 2013 catalog... strange... 

5 comments:

  1. Some people on eBay are referring to shade C as "topaz" though I suspect that's not official?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally an answer... ;) Thanks for the update! I believe the name is the original name used by Victorinox, since the 58mm line has a similar shade and name. I bought last year two small gems in Thailand called "blue topaz" and the knife's shade corresponds with the stones so... Thanks again for the info....

      Delete